Friday, June 26, 2009

The Day the Celebreties Died

First it was Ed McMahon. I grew up watching him. He is almost as much of an icon as Johnny. I was sad to see him go, but it seemed appropriate. He was 80-something, he was born and grew up in the cigarette/martini era, and he had passed from celebrity. Goodbye Ed. Thanks.

Then Farrah died. WTF? I know she was all stoned out and stuff, but dead? Dead? That's almost like saying that I don't have a penis. Hundreds, thousands, tens of hundreds of thousands of pubescent males have fond memories of flogging the dolphin whilst dreaming of Farrah. And she knew it, like Goldie Hawn. But apparently something in her genetic makeup caused her to break under the weight of all that teenage testosterone. Shocking? Yes. Hard to explain? No. Goodbye Farrah. Thanks.

And because these things happen in three's, Michael the Martian went and kicked the bucket. I guess the Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett tributaries will have to wait. This is the A-bomb.

I like Mike, but dude was a straight on alien. Years ago, when I was young and in college, Michael rocked. Really. I mean "rocked" as in not disco, not rap, not like anything else. He did it. Thanks Michael.

But that was a long time ago. What is the last MJ song/video that you remember? What up with the face surgery? How could you hang your son out over a London balcony?

A friend says it was drugs. Probably. I am sure we will find out in a full-on Dianna media probe. I'm not interested. I am just mourning the death of three people that were icons in my lifetime.

OK, since nobody reads this blog anyway, I'm going to rant about this. I've been listening/reading about this celeberity death thing like everybody else and I have to say this. Three people/groups have had "it" since I have been alive: Elvis, The Beatles, and Michael. Period. You can't argue about it. You can't explain it. It has nothing to do about who wrote what. It has nothing to do with "Well the Rolling Stones were there" or "Bob Dylan was instrumental" or "Tupac changed the landscape". Elvis/The Beatles/Michael had "it". End of story. Stop trying to explain the unexplainable. You're making a jackass of yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Lewd, crude and rude, dude. Anyway, you forgot Charlie Daniels.

    ReplyDelete