Friday, May 15, 2009

When I was living in the USA I had a habit of watching the same TV shows (almost) every day when I returned from work: Around the Horn, PTI, The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report. Have a tough time doing that now. For quite some time I have followed Around the Horn and PTI in audio on the Interweb, but only recently have I discovered that The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are available as full video feeds. Well don't I feel like a douche.

As I caught up on what I missed, it became alarmingly obvious that Jon Stewart's guests almost always were more A-list than Stephen's. Not to knock Stephen. He is almost as funny as Jon. But just for kicks I decided that I should review and provide empirical evidence. Tale of the tape:

27-Apr-09
Jon: Christine Legarde, somebody from France
Stephen: Elizabeth Bintliff, two F's
Winner: Nobody.
28-Apr-09
Jon: Cliff May, some Right Wing dick
Stephen: The Decemberists
Winner: Stephen. Music always tops Right Wing dicks.
29-Apr-09Jon: Doris Kearns Goodwin, historian
Stephen: Daniel, well, Gross
Winner: Jon. Doris rocks.
30-Apr-09Jon: Hugh Jackman, actor
Stephen: Ethan Nadelmann, two N's
Winner: Jon. No explanation required.
4-May-09
Jon: Denis Leary, comedian
Stephen: J.J. Abrams
Winner: Jon. See, this is what I am talking about. JJ Abrams is a good guest, but then Jon gets Denis Leary. Stephen has no chance.
5-May-09Jon: Fareed Zakaria, with a Z
Stephen: Paul Rieckhoff, bald white guy, two F's
Jon. People with an Arabic name are more interesting than bald white guys.
6-May-09
Jon: George Stephanopoulos
Stephen: Laurie Garrett, two R's and two T's
Winner: Jon. No explanation required. Except that I had to Google George's name to spell it correctly.
7-May-09
Jon: Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Interior
Stephen: Mitchell Joachim, some Left Wing nut
Winner: Jon. Mitchell was pretty cool though. Needs a haircut.
11-May-09Jon: Frank Partnoy, author
Stephen: Jeff Daniels, actor
Winner: Stephen. How did he pull this off?
12-May-09
Jon: Tom Hanks, actor
Stephen: Ron Howard, Opie
Winner: Jon. OK, I'm Stephen, and I book Opie. How can I lose? The only way I can lose is if Jon books Tom Hanks. F%#k.

13-May-09
Jon: Husain Haqqani, somebody from Pakistan
Stephen: Michael Pollan, food guy
Winner: Jon. Pakistan is more current. And I hate it when people try to become celebrities by talking about food.
14-May-09
Jon: Lisa P. Jackson, Head of the EPA
Stephen: Cat Stevens
Winner: Stephen. I always wondered about Cat but this cleared things up. Not really a bad dude, just a bit misguided.

So Jon 8, Stephen 3, Nobody 1. Maybe not the slam that I anticipated, but I think Jon is definitely fucking with Stephen.

No comments:

Post a Comment