Monday, May 25, 2009

The Kids are Alright

I was just sorting through my YouTube clips of songs from long ago. Specifically, I had to sort Amii Stewart (that's right - two i's, what of it?) and her classic "Knock on Wood". OK, so it is not going down in the pantheon of songs that music critics fawn over. But for all those who came of age between 1975 and 1985, tell me that you didn't dance to this song in some club, somewhere, with fog and lasers and flashing floors, Singapore Slings or some other douche-bag drink. doobage outside after, driving when it was not the best option, then some sort of carnal knowledge that ranged from "I'm gonna puke" to "I love you, no, really".

Thus my topic. This was a song of the times.

Sure, you can laugh and think "I am laughing at this person". But I guess you had to be there. And it's not like I was some disco king or something. Believe me, you don't want to see The White Retard dance. It's just that the song resonates for a person of my (advanced) age.

And now, The Kids listen to something that I do not understand. It sucks. It does not even remotely please me. I would rather listen to C-Span 3 than to listen to this crap. But...

I cannot disrespect the music. The Kids. It is what they have and what they listen to and what makes them feel the way I felt back in the day. No matter what my feelings are on the subject, I must refrain from disrepecting the music. The fact is that my opinion on this subject no longer matters. I am an old fuck from old times. The Kids are alright.

And if anybody from my generation want's to start the Disco Sucks argument, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment